17 November 2009

Liberty and Justice for...some.


Usually when we think of a role model we picture someone older and wiser than us. Today I found a story that changed my idea of a role model, someone I look up to.


At West Fork Elementary School in Arkansas, 10 year old Will Phillips stood up for what he believes in, and exercised his rights as an American. The student has been refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegiance because he feels that there isn't actually "liberty and justice for all." Phillips told the media that he will not recite the pledge until there are equal rights for gays and lesbians.


I think its amazing that this 10 year old has the awareness and strength to be controversial and really stick to defending gay and lesbian rights, while many adults couldnt be bothered. Will Phillips truly is a role model.


Read the full article here.


Also, while youre there, participate in the poll asking "Should students be allowed to abstain from reciting the Pledge of Allegiance?" The results are not what you'd think.

1 comment:

  1. love it! I can only hope if I ever have a kid that he will be that cool!

    ReplyDelete