14 March 2010

heART & soul

For quite some time now I've been wanting to begin to collect art. That may seem simple to you, you may even say "Okay, so just go out and buy a piece of artwork that you like." Well its not that easy.

Not being a gazillionaire, or even a thousandaire for that matter, I was pretty limited to what I could actually afford WHILE loving it. Artwork isnt a need, its a want. This fact made it all the more enticing to me. I would see pieces here and there that while beautiful, meaningful, and desirable, they still just didnt "feel right" to me as a choice for my very first collected piece. Then Friday, March 5th 2010 happened... I was at the Pulse Art Show and acquired a gift bag from 20x200. The gift bag was stuffed with papers and a few other random things that I'll probably never use. The bag itself is just a canvas bag with print on it. Nothing special, figured I'd use it to food shop the "green way."

The Sunday following my attendance to the Pulse show I cleaned out the bag, put the papers aside to sit on my desk [for the next week until I had the time to go through them and toss what was uninteresting to me], and put the bag with all my other bags away in my closet. Today as I finally got the chance to peruse through the loose papers I came across one that caught my attention. On one side of the paper it was titled "Why You Should Buy Art!" by William Powhida, the other side of the paper contained the artists bio and statement. After reading it I realized that "Why You Should Buy Art!" wasnt just a collection of short statements that supported and reinforced why purchasing art is a fantastic idea, this side of the white photocopied sheet was actually a photocopy of a limited-edition print which is available for purchase. This is it. This would be my very first collected piece of artwork, perfection. One of those moments where you dont even have to think...like stepping into a street, seeing a car coming, and jumping back 3 feet.

Heres what it looks like

Not fancy, not elaborate, but exactly what I wanted and I had no idea until the second I saw it. I believe that art isnt one of those things that you have to think about... its something that comes from inside that you never even knew you had in you. Loving art is not practiced or learned, its just something that you are immediately drawn to for reasons unknown to you. Im excited for this new endeavor into a whole new world.

1 comment:

  1. Wanna collect art eh? pick anything on my website (RyanHonline.com) its yours and if it isn't worth 10 million dollars 20 years from now you get your money back. They're small... 8X10...good for apartments or overcrowded walls....except for the big ones...they need more wall space

    ReplyDelete